Thursday, January 19, 2012

put your big girl panties on and knead






I am having kind of a shitty day. So, I am making something that almost always makes me happy, Pizza! Not just any ole pizza, but take your frustrations from the world out on some dough and then overindulge on something closer to love, pizza.

Pizza Dough:
4 1/4 c flour
1 1/2 c water
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp yeast

proof the yeast. Ok, I realize that this might be a new term for some folks, so, all this means is you have to wake it up. Feed it and give it a bath. How this is accomplished, warm water, not hot, you'll kill it. Warm water, 1/4 c, sugar, all of it, and yeast get mixed in a mug and get to hang out together on the counter for 20 min or so until it's all bubbly, then you know that they are awake, fed and ready to party.

mix the salt, and flour in a large bow, use a whisk, dry, it will help break up the flour and make everything an even consistency.

Add the rest of the water, the proofed yeas mixture and olive oil to a mixer, add the flour mixture in slowly and blend together.
(I have a bread machine. I realize that not all people have a bread machine, so this will prove to be a rather difficult part of the process. You could use a mixer on a low setting and a pre warmed oven to raise the dough, or you can give up now and Google the number to your local Papa John's. Or you can put your big girl panties on and hand knead the dough. It's really your call.)

Toppings, or the fun part:
I used what I found in the fridge, what else. (As you can see, I really don't prepare very well, I just, adjust accordingly to life's plan for me, which, this evening, included pizza.)

I found:
meatballs in the freezer, which got sliced
parmesan cheese
2 onions
1 potato
1/4 jar of Newman's Own Pasta Sauce
rosemary in my back yard
red pepper flakes
olive oil

This was turned into:
2 cheese pizzas
1 meatball pizza with red sauce
2 potato, onion and rosemary dusted with parmesan
1 puttanesca, with a lil bit of everything leftover

happiness is this, a very, very good friend who is willing and able to carry the weight of the world when you aren't exactly up to the task on your own and roughly one bottle of wine. That is exactly what I needed.