Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Fish Dish




I am heading to the grocery store later this evening, but the new year and fresh start spirit has me cleaning through the remainder of the odds and ends in the fridge. So, I have a random dish that I threw together based on frozen and canned goods. The result, a lovely fish dish with bright flavors and an Italian / French vibe. I really enjoy a good cupboard challenge. Here's what I have on hand and that's it, go, make something with it. The results are rather refreshing. It's something like dressing yourself on laundry day. Not a lot of options but a lot of previously unseen possibility.

Fish Dish with a Italian / French Vibe ala Carra

pre heat oven to roughly 370 - I don't have #'s in my oven so I really have no clue what the thing cooks at.
(Hence the lack of baking skills and lack of baking type recipes that will appear on this project.)

4 - 5 frozen pollock filets
1 bag frozen peas
1 jar marinara sauce
1 onion
3 garlic cloves
3/4 c green / kalamata olives
1 tbs capers
oregano & rosemary ( I have fresh growing in an herb box in the yard, so having a little really punched the dish up but dry can achieve the same thing, well, almost.)
1 tbs olive oil
1-2 tbs wine - I was drinking red, so that's what happened
salt and pepper to taste

rice 2 c + 4 c water and 1 cube veggie bullion (chopped up) and steamed in a rice cooker ='s RICE!!
Don't have a rice cooker? Well, that sucks for you. I don't know how to cook rice without one.

dice onion and garlic, saute in large skillet until tender / clearish with the olive oil- 5 min
chop up olives, watch out for pits and finger tips!
add olives, capers, herbs,seasoning and marinara to pan, heat through until almost bubbling - 3 min
pour peas in the bottom of a 9x9 or a little larger evenly place fish filets over the peas
pour the sauce over the dish evenly
bake for the time it takes to enjoy a glass of wine, which evens out to be 20-25 min
( I really encourage light to moderate drinking while cooking, makes things more fun, even more sporting. At the very least, it's relaxing.)
poke it for doneness but since the sauce going in was hot, it will cook pretty quick.

Pul the dish from the oven and let stand for 5 min, helps it to be happy.

Serve yummyness over rice. Enjoy family style!

Kivi approved!

3 comments:

Barbara said...

LOL I love it! Best type of cooking by far is to literally throw whatever you have in the cabinet together.

It does sound yummy. Will have to try something similar soon!

dejavudu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dejavudu said...

THIS is why i keep telling you you were made for cooking shows. You are the undisputed master of the cupboard challenge.

Also, "Don't have a rice cooker? Well, that sucks for you. I don't know how to cook rice without one. " = Gold. This post gets an 11 on the funny meter.