Thursday, April 26, 2012

Perspective is Key

I spent the better part of the day trapesing around in conditions that would suck running from the car to the office door, much less trying to find health and human services with only my two feet, and spotty public transportation, trusting that it will get me across the miles that I needed to go from point A to B to C. To be able to eat, I needed to sign in, take a number, be monitored by officers, queue up and act quickly about it lest I made the others in line behind me wait too long. I was confronted with lack of appropriate signage, long waits in less than desirable waiting rooms. I was however, always greeted with a warm eyed smile, and kind words everywhere I went. The people that guided us along were always welcoming and patient with all of our requests.

I was completely humbled today, taking a moment out of my all too fast paced life, given a moment to reflect on all that I have, a house, warm and filled with love and loved ones, a job that I actually like coming to, and my full faculties allowing me to have all these things and more. There are so many people in the world that have so little, and all I ask of you, my friends, loved ones and random FB stalker peeps, is to take a couple of hours out of your life, a few dollars out of your wallet and contribute that time and money to an organization that will help someone else feel like a human being again.


The pendant is superfluous to the message here but my blog is about pancakes and pendants, so I have to kind of keep it on the theme. I had a little eye opening event today and I hope that posting about this key, will help you see my point. Thank you to Homeward VA and all of the many other human services organizations for taking part in this amazing event. Thank you to all of the adventurous individuals that I met today and got to share this experience with.

1 comment:

dejavudu said...

Wait, I want to hear more about this!