Thursday, April 19, 2012

I made....Broth


Ok, kitchen essential = broth. It's not rocket science, but good science. This stuff is essential in all sorts of dishes and ends up being at the very least a yummy solution to the blues, of which I have had a remarkable case of lately for whatever reason. So, I made a TON of it. You can make it vegan, vegetarian or full on chicken stock, but whatever you do, take your time. A slow cooker / crock pot is essential to the success of this simple staple.

Broth / Stock:
1 whole chicken ( if vegetarian / vegan omit chicken)
6-8 medium carrots ends trimmed, washed, left whole
4-6 ribs celery, washed and tips trimmed, leaves on is good
1-2 medium onions
8-12 peppercorns
1 tbs salt
4 cloves garlic
( I used the green parts of the leek that you can't really eat in my broth to give it a little more flavor and make me feel like I was not wasting that much of an edible.)
put all bits in a crock pot and cover with filtered water. Cook on medium heat for 6 hours if in a crock pot. If you are cooking this stove top really low heat for 3-4 hours. I cooked mine for 10 hours, and it's totally fine.

You can sift out the edibles and chop up roughly for a simple soup. The broth can be jarred and kept in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and frozen and kept for up to 6 months. I would suggest using pint size plastic take out containers for freezing since you can pop out the stock right into the pot as needed. As for the leftover skin, that makes for happy cats.

More soup thoughts to come, if I have time this weekend. Life is moving very fast. Perhaps a savory pancake. Funny diagram on Pancakes, thanks Bizhan.




No comments: