Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Foreign Family Time

I love LOVE LOVE! My god children and their parents Elizabeth and JB. Unfortunately, I never get to see them since they live all over, most recently in Honduras. This is cool because I get to go visit, but not nearly often enough. Tonight I got to have them over for dinner and it was lovely. I thought that they would be homesick after a week of traveling so I made the most latina thing I could and it's mostly what Elizabeth taught me how to cook.

frijoles negros:
starting with dry beans, rinse and soak overnight. This step is key since it will lead to softer beans in the end.
The next morning, drain, add just enough water to the crock pot to cover 1/4 in over top of the beans. Add
1 bay leaf
1 slice bacon
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 tbs salt
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
1 tbs olive oil
let cook on low heat for minimum of 8 hours.

cebollas y pimientos:
I used poblano peppers which are a bit warmer and have a more smoky flavor to them you can use garden / bell peppers but know your audience. Ellie I am sure could eat a ghost pepper if she wanted to. Me, poblanos were pushing it on the Scoville.
Sliced widthwise and sauteed in olive oil with yellow onions until caramelized.

carnes a la brasa:
I used chicken and beef from the farmers market. Not sure what cut, but oil in the pan, hot hot heat, lil salt and char until medium. 3-4 min tops. Slice on the bias and serve with warmed corn tortillas.

Guac:
mine is really really awesome.
2 avocados
1 tsp ( 2 cloves) minced garlic
1/2 lime juice
1 jalapeno fine dice
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbs red onion fine dice
smash all together but not until a paste, you want to know where the food came from.

Pico:
Tomatoes diced
1 jalapeno fine dice
1 tsp ( 2 cloves) minced garlic
1/4 red onion fine dice
1/2 lime juice







Serve with shredded cheese and lettuce and a giant pile of love.

No comments: