Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Dinner with Friends






















Tonight we enjoyed a somewhat formal dinner with some very beloved friends. Serious Supper Club consists of a few couples that adore food and cooking, and coincidentally live in the NorthSIde of Richmond. This time round, was considered my turn, I think I also signed up for this. So, on a tumultuous Tuesday I began my quest to entertain a diverse set of pallets with something I consider southern-asian-fusion. I am told I succeeded but I think it' just lip service. 

Round 1:
grocery store sushi with grocery store garnish and some lame ass rice crackers. OK, I had a long fucking day and I literally had forgotten that people were defending upon my house and I panicked. Decided to burry the disorganized part of the menu in the arrival of so many people in one small space at once. Success! No one noticed that this was in fact a lame attempt at "cooking".

Round2:

Salad course, saved by the season. The only way that this course existed is sincerely due to the season and there being ample produce that is stand alone amazing. 

Iceberg lettuce with:

green zebra tomatoes
house grown red peppers
grilled shitake mushrooms
shaved carrot
scallions

Dressing
2 tbs shaved ginger / pink pickled ginger ( do you like it spicy or sweet?)
3 tbs olive oil
3 carrots grated
2 tbs rice wine vinegar
2 tsp salt
2 tbs gluten free soy sauce
2 tbs miso paste
1 tsp sesame oil
pulse on high in blender until well incorporated

Round 3:
Baked Baby eggplant with 
Plum Sauce Dressing:
3 tbs Hosin Sauce
2 tbs miso paste
1 tsp sesame oil
2 tbs gluten free soy sauce
1 tsp garlic paste
1 tsp chili paste

and 

Steamed Jasmine Rice

Round 4:
Local Made ginger ice cream with shaved asian pear and crystalized ginger chunks. Also cheated the shit out of this course by assembling pre existing ingredients rather than "making" anything. I think this is a fine technique especially since I am hostessing and not the head chef. Again, go for your comfort zone. I am always better at assemblage than I am at pure inventiveness. 

Enjoy with copious amounts of company and no regrets. Life it is too short. 



No comments: