Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Italian for an Italian, I kid you not

It wasn't all that bad, we had Nat and B over for dinner and half way through making dinner I look up at Spence and announce, "... and I am making Italian for an Italian. I did not think this through."

So, upon arrival of said guests and completion of dinner, we had a small, approving laugh over it. It's these moments I feel most comfortable, in realizing I might not be the best at what I do in the kitchen, but  the love and learning that goes into it, that's where it's at.

Parmesan cheese crisps & Kalamata Olives for nibbles before dinner with yummy Italian vino, provided by our awesome guests.

Garden Fresh Arugula Salad with White Beans & Onion:
4 c fresh arugula, rinsed and torn into small pieces
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed
1/3 red onion, small dice
1/2 c olive oil
1 lemon fresh squeezed
salt
pepper
pinch of chili pepper flakes

toss liberally and serve room temp, the greens will wilt a bit, it's all good.

Crimini Diablo:
1 lb pasta boiled to al dente and drained, tossed liberally with olive oil
3/4 jar red sauce ( I use in a time pinch, would love to make my own, but you know how things get)
2 plum tomatos, small dice
1/2 small white onion, small dice
4 garlic cloves crushed
2 tbs olive oil
1 tbs red pepper flakes
1 lb crimini mushrooms, cleaned, halved and stemmed

Fry the shrooms on med high heat in 1 tbs olive oil with 1 garlic clove until just barely turning brown

cook the onion, tomato and remaining garlic on med heat until onion turns clear, add the sauce and the chili flakes, simmer for 5-7 min

Toss pasta, sauce and shrooms together in a big ass bowl, you will need this, it gets messy.

Serve with an amazing baguette and some parm on the side.

I love to use minimal desert with a heavy meal. So seasonal berries, Mexican wedding cookies and almonds were the perfect night cap.








Perhaps I will brush up on my mexican and have some family over next time.

1 comment:

dejavudu said...

This sounds like heaven. I love cannellinis.