Friday, June 15, 2012

Barbecue Beats

Now, this is a play on words, and as we all know, I love a good pun.
Explanation: The long day/week ended and the evening began with a soundtrack, which inspired a beer run, which inspired an itch that needed scratching, which inspired grill time, another favorite past time, barbecue or BBQ, but sans meet. In it's stead, grilled beets ( hence the pun). All personal faves. But I brought the soundtrack, usually a car jam, into the kitchen and created a whole new vibe and a wicked good BBQ sauce and slew of sides.

I think the creative energy was perfect for the evening and helped my fridge challenge evening events. The liquid libations I am sure had a small hand in  the cretive juices flowing on full. Too bad the grill did not get the message, as it was tapped and out of gas upon masterful ignition. c'est la vie. Kivi was not impressed with the situation either. Sad face. I did make the best of it and got to impart a whole 'nother flavor stream into the beets by FRYING them. It was going to be a vegetarian meal, I promise, but frying requires duck fat. Well, not always, but it does help things along.

BBQ Sauce ( upon reading this, you will be put on a list by ip address and require a memory wipe since this is a pretty bad ass BBQ sauce recipe.):

Will yield total 1 cup enough for 4 slathered sandwiches. and a couple of spoons full, testing purposes.

1 bottle classic root beer, made with sugar and real herbs. If I catch you using that corn syrup no flavor shit, I am not responsible for my actions.
2 tbs apple cider vinegar
1 tbs worchestire sauce (like my mayo, I really do care about the brand of few things, this is one.)
2 tbs butter
1/2 c fine dice red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp penzey's secret spice mix ( really, it's that good and no I am not sharing what the true origin of spices is.)
1 tbs red onion marmalade - orange marmalade and 1 tsp balsamic vinegar will do here as well.
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
1/2 c catsup
1 tsp sun dried tomato paste
10 grains ghost pepper sea salt
1 twist black pepper
1/2 tsp black molasses

large frying pan / sauce pan - butter, onions, garlic in the pan first, stir, cook til clear-ish.
Add the bottle, yes the whole damn bottle, of root beer. Let that hang out on medium low heat for a while while you busy yourself with prepping other things. Let it reduce by more than half.
After it's reduced and the onions are starting to become one with the goo, and it looks like the stuff on Prometheus, add the rest of the crap listed and stir a lot. Whisk is preferable here. Turn the heat off and just let it all get to know each other.


Farro, tomato, green onion salad:
3 c cooked farro ( I had this for dinner earlier in the week, so it was technically a leftover, and pre cooked / cooled)
1 c sliced grape tomatos
1/3 c sliced green onion
I am cheating on the flavor here, but it's for the greater good, my sanity. 1 1/2 tsp Penzey's Greek Seasoning.
black pepper
2 tbs olive oil.
toss about, distribute flavor and wealth.

Cole Slaw:
1/2 head cabbage
1/2 c fine dice red onion
1/2 c (mmhmm) Dukes Mayo
1/2 lemon, juiced
salt, pepper, chili pepper flakes all for flava'
pinch o sugar, this is the south after all

Beets:
pure and simple, cleaned and sliced
grilled - hem - fried in 2 tbs duck fat

Serve with BBQ awesomesauce over 1/2 french baguette

enjoy all of the above and beers with husband, yes, I have one of those, I remember now, and catching up convo. Complete meal with long bike ride, seasonally accurite, to ice cream shop.

love.
















It was all too much for Kivi.


1 comment:

dejavudu said...

I've had that Hell or High Watermelon in Charlottesville! Delicious.